Heating lamp for baby chicks causes house fire off FM 367

WICHITA COUNTY (KFDX/KJTL) — A heating lamp used to keep baby chickens warm is believed to be the cause of a fire at a residence on F.M. 367 on Wednesday morning.

PREVIOUS STORY: Multiple agencies battle house fire in Wichita County
Structure fire on FM 367 near Wichita Falls (Photo credit: Christopher Walker, KFDX/KJTL)

The call came in at around 10:45 a.m. on Wednesday, March 27, 2024, in reference to a structure fire on F.M. 367, between Horseshoe Lake Road and F.M. 369, just outside of the Wichita Falls city limits in Wichita County.

Multiple agencies, including the Wichita West Fire Department, the Iowa Park Fire Department, the Wichita Falls Fire Department, AMR, and the Wichita County Sheriff's Office, responded to the structure fire.

When first responders arrived at the residence, they found heavy smoke and fire coming from the roof of the residence. A stretch of F.M. 367 was closed between F.M. 369 and Horseshoe Lake Road while fire crews worked to extinguish the blaze.

Structure fire on FM 367 near Wichita Falls (Photo credit: Christopher Walker, KFDX/KJTL)

Fire officials at the scene said the cause of the fire is believed to be a heating lamp for baby chickens that the homeowner said was on the back porch.

The American Red Cross was called to the scene to assist the family living at the home

No injuries were reported at the scene. According to fire officials at the scene, the owner of the home was able to act quickly, gather his family and lead them to safety.

LOCAL NEWS: Wichita Falls fire officials reveal cause of grass fire
Structure fire on FM 367 near Wichita Falls (Photo credit: Christopher Walker, KFDX/KJTL)

"Nobody was injured. No firefighters were injured," Wichita County Sheriff David Duke said. "So the great response in fire departments, so everybody was able to get here and take care of business."

Iowa Park Fire Department's Assistant Fire Chief Ross Caston echoed Sheriff Duke's sentiments.

"Any time you get out of a house fire without any injuries, that's a good day," Caston said. "Items are replaceable. People are not."

Thankfully, fire officials at the scene also said all of the baby chicks being warmed by the heating lamp survived the blaze as well.

This is a developing story. Stick with Texoma's Homepage for updates as more information becomes available.

Contact Us

0%