Video shows moment dog sets fire inside Colorado home

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KXRM) — A Colorado Springs homeowner was able to extinguish a fire that was started when a curious pup accidentally switched on a stove burner in the early morning hours and igniting items left on the stove.

According to the Colorado Springs Fire Department (CSFD), it all started around 4:45 a.m. on Wednesday, June 26, on the southeast side of Colorado Springs. Fire crews with CSFD responded to a possible structure fire in the 1600 block of Rushmore Drive.

When crews arrived, they didn't find an active fire or any smoke; however, they did find evidence of a fire. The man who owned the home was able to extinguish the flames before crews arrived, though he was taken to the hospital to be checked out for smoke inhalation.

Hatch recall: Parents urged to ‘immediately stop using’ baby sound machines

After chatting with the homeowners and combing through home security footage, CSFD determined that the family's dog had jumped up on the oven and accidentally flipped on a stove burner, where boxes had been left. The burner ignited the boxes, causing a fire that tripped a High Heat alert on the family's Apple HomePod.

CSFD used the opportunity to remind the community of the importance of working smoke detectors, keeping the stove clear of anything combustible, and having at least two ways to escape any room in your home.

As for the mischievous pup and its owners, thankfully no two-legged or four-legged members of the family were injured.

Contact Us

0%